Nick Kyrgios will play the French Open for the first time since 2017 next year because his partner wants to visit Paris, though he would prefer to stay at home.
Kyrgios has never been beyond the third round at Roland Garros, last appearing at the event in 2017 – when he suffered a second-round defeat against Kevin Anderson.
Last year, the Australian labelled the French Open "the worst grand slam" and called for the competition to be "taken off the calendar altogether".
However, Kyrgios now says he will end his absence from the Paris event, though his reasons for doing so are not tennis related.
"My girlfriend wants to know Paris, so I'm going to play at Roland Garros 2023," Kyrgios told reporters in Saudi Arabia.
"It will be good for me to earn some more money, although I would have preferred to stay at home.
"I know I can do great results on clay. I beat Roger [Federer], [Stan] Wawrinka, I played a final in Estoril. My girl wants to get to know the city so I will have to go this year."
Kyrgios achieved two of his four best grand slam runs in 2022, losing the Wimbledon final to Novak Djokovic before exiting the US Open at the quarter-final stage against Karen Khachanov.
IVE SAID IT BEFORE. THE CURRENT RANKING SYSTEM IS BASED ON CONSISTENCY & HOW MUCH YOU PLAY. NOT SKILL & FORM https://t.co/KOUVDXuJka— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) December 12, 2022