Everton and Liverpool were forced to share the spoils at Goodison Park in Sunday's Merseyside derby in the Women’s Super League with a 0-0 draw.

Liverpool dominated the early proceedings in what was a cagey affair at the home of Everton, but both sides were defensively organised leading to a lack of chances in the first half.

As the game opened up after the break, there were more opportunities to break the deadlock, and Hanna Bennison came inches away from finding the back of the net, but her whipping effort struck the bar and came out.

Ceri Holland had a golden opportunity for a winner in the dying seconds, but her deflected effort went just past the post and the sides ended up taking a point apiece in what was the first ever goalless women's Merseyside derby in the league.

The first half saw minimal chances for either side with a lengthy stoppage due to a Courtney Brosnan injury halting the momentum. The Everton goalkeeper went down under a challenge from Ceri Holland, but eventually got back to her feet and was able to continue.

Nervous gasps echoed around Goodison Park in the 28th minute as Sophie Haug pounced on a mistake at the back by Everton’s defence before spotting Brosnan off her line. Her long-range effort was goalbound, but the Republic of Ireland international managed to get back in time to prevent the Reds from finding an opener.

Everton’s best chance of the first half came as Bennison picked out Emma Bissell on the left-hand side of the box, and the English wide player got it out of her feet before unleashing towards goal, but her effort slammed into the side-netting.

After half-time, the Toffees looked to take the game to Liverpool and despite their lack of opportunities, the home side got into some advanced positions, but that final pass wasn’t quite there.

Bennison found herself in space just outside the penalty area and looked to test Rachael Laws from range, but her ambitious curling effort cannoned off the bar and away from danger. That was the closest either side came to breaking the deadlock up to that point, and it was a superb strike from the Swedish international.

The momentum shifted in favour of the Toffees for the final stages as they pushed to grab a winner, and Justine Vanhaevermaet stung the palms of Laws between the sticks with a thunderous striker from outside the box, but the Liverpool goalkeeper parried it away, preventing a certain goal.

It appeared Holland would strike a hammer blow in additional time, but a couple of converging Everton defenders got back in the nick of time to deflect her shot wide and ensure the game ended goalless.

Everton unable to do the double over rivals

The Toffees went into the game hoping to do the league double over their Merseyside rivals for the second time after the 2012 season. Brian Sorensen’s side were looking to end a disappointing run of form at home having won just one of their last eight games in the Women’s Super League on their own turf.

Everton struggled to create much of an attacking threat in the opening 45 minutes, failing to produce a shot on target, with their rivals on top before the break.

After the interval, the Blues looked the more likely to find an opener, but a late onslaught on the Liverpool goal wasn’t enough for them to come away with the three points.

Haug kept quiet as Liverpool struggle to create

Matt Beard’s team were looking to extend their unbeaten run of four games in the league, hoping to enhance their chances of catching third-placed Arsenal for a spot in the Champions League qualifiers.

With five goals already to her name in the Women’s Super League, all eyes were on Sophie Haug to produce the magic for Liverpool, with the Norwegian striker looking to score in three consecutive league matches for the first time in her career with the club.

The Reds were unable to create too many clear-cut chances for Haug, and it was a relatively quiet outing for the 24-year-old by her standards.