The person who accused Goh Liu Ying of being a third party in their marriage has issued an apology and promised to stop harassing the mixed doubles star and her family.
Rumors that Goh was involved with a married man surfaced on social media last week, which the Olympic silver medalist swiftly dismissed with a mix of anger and anguish after her reputation was put on the line.
Vivienne Chen, who accused the world number seven of such claims, made the apology through a statement.
“I am regretful and apologetic of my reckless behavior which has affected Ms Goh’s reputation. I would like to confirm that Goh is not a home wrecker. I should not have uploaded any post which may potentially cause damage to her reputation and misled the public into believing she is a homewrecker.
“I hereby promise to stop harassing Goh and her family and guarantee I will stop making false representation that may cause the public to misunderstand her character,” said Chen, adding she would bear the legal cost involved.
The shuttler said she already made a police report and would take legal action for the slander aimed at her.
The woman’s ex-husband, Leonard Lim, also apologised for failing to resolve his marital woes that resulted in the incident.
With the matter considered settled, Goh can get back to focusing on preparing for the season restart scheduled for September.
She and partner Chan Peng Soon reported for national training at the Academy Badminton Malaysia earlier this week, where they both took a swab test for COVID-19 on Tuesday.
Other independent shuttlers like men’s doubles Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong and men’s singles Liew Daren and Soong Joo Ven also checked in on Tuesday as part of the Thomas Cup selection.