Paris Saint-Germain head coach Christophe Galtier has explained his tactical changes in recent matches, making clear a return to a three-man defence is not off the table.

PSG switched approaches for their last two Ligue 1 games, playing with a four-man backline and securing victories against Marseille and Ajaccio.

The move impacts Neymar, who has been in outstanding form this season, as he was moved inside against Marseille having previously played from the wing.

Galtier accepts there is now a different demand defensively of the Brazil forward – or anyone else in that position – although he wants his players to work as a team "whatever the formation".

"We changed the system for different reasons," he said ahead of Tuesday's game against Maccabi Haifa. "We played two games in this formation.

"Whatever the formation, you always have to run, and even if tomorrow [Tuesday] we have to evolve in this formation, we need the efforts of each other.

"But it is true that it is more precise defensively for the player who plays under both strikers."

This is not necessarily a long-term switch, however, as Galtier added: "Do not think that the three centre-back system has been abandoned. It is an advantage to have two formations, two systems.

"The first worked well at first but stuck for different reasons. I had an idea to use the quality of our squad and our strikers.

"I asked my staff to think about how to make the maximum use of my squad and put the players in their best position. I thought it was time to do things differently."

Galtier also highlighted the performances of Fabian Ruiz in the new system, which he feels suits the Spain midfielder.

"I have a quality midfield, and we had to wait until they could step up. Fabian plays in a position that is usual to him, in a preferential zone," Galtier said.

"To change a formation, you need very specific players, and Fabian is that."