Erik ten Hag went with his Sunday best as Manchester United looked to earn a first Premier League win at Liverpool in over seven years.

Seven days on from winning the EFL Cup at Wembley, where the Red Devils beat Newcastle United, Ten Hag again put his trust in the players that delivered that trophy success.

That meant United named the XI that triumphed in the capital, with Ten Hag backing that line-up after shuffling his pack for the FA Cup win on Wednesday against West Ham.

Wout Weghorst led the attack, with 25-goal Marcus Rashford looking to add to his stunning tally. Rashford went into Sunday's game having hit 10 goals in his last 10 Premier League outings, scoring in his last five appearances.

Ten Hag's team were looking to end a six-game winless run in league games at Anfield, with their last victory at the home of their great rivals in the competition being a 1-0 win in January 2016.

Liverpool made three changes to the side that beat Wolves 2-0 on Wednesday, a result that continued a recent upturn in league results for Jurgen Klopp's team, giving them 10 points from the last four games.

Andy Robertson came in at left-back for Konstantinos Tsimikas, Spanish youngster Stefan Bajcetic was replaced by Jordan Henderson in midfield, and Cody Gakpo replaced Diogo Jota in attack, where he joined Darwin Nunez and Mohamed Salah.

United's recent winless run at Anfield is their longest since a run of nine games between 1970 and 1979, but they headed into this encounter sitting 10 points above Liverpool.

Third-placed United were seeking a ninth Premier League double over Liverpool, having won 2-1 at Old Trafford in August, the result that kick-started Ten Hag's reign after a rocky start to the Dutchman's career in England.

United came into this game having scored just one goal in their last seven trips to face Liverpool in all competitions, failing to score in the last three.

However, they arrived for the game having lost just one of their last 11 in the league (W8 D2), with the exception in that run being a 3-2 defeat at Arsenal in January.