SA Rugby has offered to host the remainder of the 2021 Rugby Championship after coronavirus cases in New Zealand saw three All Blacks Tests called off.
With travel and quarantine restrictions tightened in New Zealand, it was announced the national team's matches against the Springboks in Auckland and Dunedin had been cancelled.
The All Blacks also will not travel to Perth for their third Bledisloe Cup clash against Australia – a decision their SANZAAR rivals said they only learned of through the media.
These developments have left Rugby Championship plans in tatters after just a single round of matches.
The tournament was replaced by the Tri-Nations in 2020 when South Africa withdrew. This time, SA Rugby is able to provide a potential solution, confirming in a statement its offer to SANZAAR.
Update on the Castle Lager Rugby Championship— Springboks (@Springboks) August 20, 2021
Boks’ scheduled fixtures in NZ were cancelled
"We are ready and able to host the remainder of the competition in SA"
More here: https://t.co/SAqvWlxOAw #StrongerTogether #StrongerForever pic.twitter.com/ALcXwSoGGt
"We have advised SANZAAR that we are ready and able to host the remainder of the competition in South Africa, pending our government's approval," said CEO Jurie Roux.
"But we are now well-versed in turning on rugby Tests within the prevailing COVID restrictions and have the venues and accommodation necessary. We just need the go-ahead."
The Springboks are still set to face Argentina, as scheduled, in Port Elizabeth on Saturday, although the two teams will not then fly out to Australia as they await an announcement on the rescheduling of the tournament.
South Africa has already this year hosted a British and Irish Lions tour, which the Springboks won 2-1.