If the long talked-about super fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. is going to happen, it won't be on the date UFC president Dana White had been eyeing.
The boxing match — targeted for Sept. 16 in Las Vegas — got scooped Saturday night when a fight between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin was announced for that date/site immediately after Alvarez's lopsided victory over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
“We just lost our date to Canelo and Triple-G, but good, that’s a good fight. I’ll be at that one, too,” White told Fight Hub after the Alvarez-Chavez Jr. fight.
Citing unidentified sources, Fox Sports reported that Sept. 16 was the date McGregor and Mayweather had circled if the two sides could agree on terms for the mega-fight that could be one of the biggest — and most lucrative — events of all time.
And yet despite being displaced, White couldn't help but look at the Canelo-Golovkin bout like an true fight fan — and promoter.
“Canelo looked good tonight. Canelo looked awesome. Triple-G’s fun, man. He’s the type of guy boxing needs, so it will be a fun fight. So is Canelo, Canelo went at it tonight,” White said. “The fans win that fight. That’s gonna be a real fight. That’s gonna be a fun one.”