Six national shuttlers have tested positive for COVID-19 and gone into a period of self-isolation, confirmed the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).
“All the shuttlers are asymptomatic are observing a period of self-isolation in accordance with the Ministry of Health (KKM) and Ministry of Youth and Sports (MKN) protocol on quarantine,” said the BAM in a statement.
Upon consultation with the KKM, MSN and National Sports Institute (NSI), 91 athletes, coaches and officials stationed at the Academy Badminton Malaysia (ABM) were tested and their results came back negative.
The ABM also underwent a detailed and thorough sanitisation process.
In light of this, BAM reverted to a quarantine-based training at the national badminton centre of excellence, while school activities would be conducted online.
The six shuttlers are understood to not have contacted the virus from the tournaments they had competed in, among which were the Swiss Open, All-England Open, Orlean Masters and Polish Open last month.
Youth and Sports Minister Reezal Merican Naina Merican said immediate action were taken after the shuttlers tested positive.
“Instructions have been given to NSI, MSN & BAM to take immediate precautionary measures in accordance with KKM. The safety of our athletes, coaches and officials are our utmost priority,” he said.
The national shuttlers will next prepare for India Open (May 11-16).