Bristol City travelled back to the west country with a point after a rain- and wind-swept 1-1 draw with Huddersfield.

Delano Burgzorg opened the scoring for the hosts after a devastating first-half counter-attack spearheaded by the impressive David Kasumu.

Tommy Conway capped off a tidy move for the Robins straight after the break, slotting home Andreas Weimann’s precise cross to equalise.

Huddersfield are now winless at home since October while City slip to three without victory.

Chris Maxwell was thrust into the action in the Town goal inside the first 20 seconds, rescuing Jaheim Headley from poking into his own net.

Maxwell was sharp again a minute later to deny Conway as the City striker crept behind the Terriers back line only to fire straight at the keeper.

Rob Dickie flicked a Matty James free-kick wide as the visitors dominated the opening 10 minutes. Mark Sykes also saw a near-post shot blocked by the ever-alert Michal Helik.

Huddersfield took 20 minutes to wake up and almost took the lead with their first attempt. Lackadaisical goalkeeping from Max O’Leary smacked the ball straight onto the head of Ben Wiles but the ball fortuitously only found the outside of the net.

The home side eventually opened the scoring after a blistering counter-attack. Kasumu’s 40-yard burst took him through the heart of the City midfield and his deft ball into the path of Burgzorg allowed the Dutchman to smash home his fourth of the season.

Town turned on the style and had Josh Koroma reacted a split second quicker to Headley’s cross, the Terriers could have scored a second. Wiles again went close, spinning inside the Robins’ penalty area before his deflected shot nestled into O’Leary’s grasp.

Maxwell ensured his concentration levels were still at maximum, punching a wickedly deflected Sykes cross away from goal.

With the clock ticking before the break, Conway laboured to create a half-chance for the Robins, hitting the side netting. Jonathan Hogg fired over at the other end for Huddersfield moments later.

Seconds after the break, City found an equaliser. Dickie’s pass sliced open the Town defence and with an inch-perfect ball across the box, Weimann found Conway who stroked home the leveller from 12 yards out.

The home team may have felt aggrieved on 54 minutes when the ball cannoned back off George Tanner’s arm, with Koroma ready to finish. Referee Andy Davies thought otherwise.

With 10 minutes left, Jason Knight wriggled free inside the Huddersfield box to pull a shot wide while Town substitute Brahima Diarra tried an acrobatic volley which caused O’Leary no troubles.

Hogg whistled one wide from the edge of the box as neither side could find the elusive winner.